Hacking with hKit

I’ve been using hKit recently for several projects, among them trying to figure out why ’s user profiles won’t import at Satisfaction. In testing, I found that Technorati profiles also don’t import.

I tracked it down to two separate issues:

  1. Technorati uses DoubleClick advertising, which uses document.write() to drop new scripts into the page. This script-within-a-script seems to confuse the w3’s tidy proxy and breaks everything.
    I managed to work around this with a big ugly hack in hkit.class.php which attempts to detect the document.write() and fix the damage. It’s pretty ugly and probably pretty delicate as well, but it’s something.
    Feedback is always welcome: Modified hKit 0.5
  2. Satisfaction uses AJAX to pull the hCard info through a script on their server. The script seems to have the same shortcoming as the Microformatic tool with URLs containing a ?. This one was an easy fix on my end; I updated Rosebleed’s profile page to accept the username either from the GET string (profile.php?user=silvermoon82) or from pathinfo (profile.php/silvermoon82). The hCard fetcher works with the new format links, so all is well in the universe.

Social networking updates on Rosebleed

I’ve been updating the features on [tag]Rosebleed[/tag]. Most of the changes are not immediately visible, but they’re nifty:
I’ve rolled out [tag]microformat[/tag] markup all over the site – user profiles are now [tag]hcard[/tag]-enabled and the friendslist is marked up with [tag]hCard+XFN[/tag].
I also implemented [tag]FOAF[/tag] profiles with autodiscovery, much like that provided by LiveJournal (for a cool FOAF tool, check out the FOAF Explorer).

Still in the works on the SN side is implementing [tag][/tag] for logins and order tracking, and hCard, hCard+XFN and FOAF profile-pulling.