By day I'm the Release Manager at Distributive; I help build the Distributed Compute Protocol at https://dcp.cloud.
I’ve found other posts dating back to May of this year (The Numbers Guy) on the subject, so it’s really not a new idea.
The largest part of my doubt is the question of technology. In a CRT, it does indeed use more energy to display bright colours than dark (ref. DOE Energy Star Desktop Information). A CRT produces bright colours by directing an energy beam at the front of the screen; more brightness == more energy used.
I’m too impatient to wait for Calculator.app to load, or for the Calculator dashboard widget to catch up with me. The solution? Google.
If my computer is turned on, there’s generally a web browser open. [tag]Google Calculator[/tag] meets my needs, and it’s faster than opening a local app or taking my boots off (if I need to count past 10).The downside? Apparently it annoys [tag]Google[/tag] if you do it a lot:
As part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, WD will make a dontation to the National Breast Cancer Foundation for each pink Passport drive sold. Going one step further than most, WD’s donations will continue beyond month’s end – they will continue until February 29.
Web sites will Go Pink during the month of October to bring attention to Breast Cancer Awareness Month, get people talking about breast cancer, and raise money for research.
But to be clear, raising money isn’t the primary purpose of this web event.
The hope is that you turn your site pink (in whatever way works for your site), go out to that World Wide Web thing and educate yourself about the multiple issues related to Breast Cancer, then take that newfound knowledge and tell someone else what you’ve learned.
I’ve been using hKit recently for several projects, among them trying to figure out why Rosebleed’s user profiles won’t import at Satisfaction. In testing, I found that Technorati profiles also don’t import.
I tracked it down to two separate issues:
Technorati uses DoubleClick advertising, which uses document.write() to drop new scripts into the page. This script-within-a-script seems to confuse the w3’s tidy proxy and breaks everything.
I managed to work around this with a big ugly hack in hkit.class.php which attempts to detect the document.write() and fix the damage. It’s pretty ugly and probably pretty delicate as well, but it’s something.
Feedback is always welcome: Modified hKit 0.5
Satisfaction uses AJAX to pull the hCard info through a script on their server. The script seems to have the same shortcoming as the Microformatic tool with URLs containing a ?. This one was an easy fix on my end; I updated Rosebleed’s profile page to accept the username either from the GET string (profile.php?user=silvermoon82) or from pathinfo (profile.php/silvermoon82). The hCard fetcher works with the new format links, so all is well in the universe.
I’ve been updating the social networking features on [tag]Rosebleed[/tag]. Most of the changes are not immediately visible, but they’re nifty:
I’ve rolled out [tag]microformat[/tag] markup all over the site – user profiles are now [tag]hcard[/tag]-enabled and the friendslist is marked up with [tag]hCard+XFN[/tag].
I also implemented [tag]FOAF[/tag] profiles with autodiscovery, much like that provided by LiveJournal (for a cool FOAF tool, check out the FOAF Explorer).
Still in the works on the SN side is implementing [tag]OpenID[/tag] for logins and order tracking, and hCard, hCard+XFN and FOAF profile-pulling.
Well, I’ve joined the 21st century and retired my home-rolled site management system.
I’ve moved the majority of my previous content over to use [tag]WordPress[/tag] 2.2.2 (yes, with proper redirects…), and will be finishing up over the next little while.
The new system has quite a few modernizations: tags, comments, trackback (I’ve been planning to implement trackbacks for a while, both for here and for Rosebleed; never got around to it), XFN (in the “blogroll” for now, it will grow), and [tag]OpenID[/tag] authentication for comments.
* Note WRT OpenID auth: The OpenID plugin I’m using doesn’t seem to play well with [tag]ClaimID[/tag] identities – when you post and authenticate at the same time, it works fine. If you try to post when already logged in, something breaks and it goes into an eternal redirect loop.